• 1 8-ounce package of organic tempeh
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 T olive oil
• 1 shallot finely chopped
• 2 T soy sauce
• ½ Cup red wine
• 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped (food processor is an option)
• 15 oz. can tomato sauce or crush tomatoes
• 3 T chopped basil
• ½ t Sea salt
• ½ cup grated manchego cheese or thickly grated into pieces
• ½ an avocado, finely chopped or sliced thinly
• toasted pine nuts
• Optional – green olives
Crumble the tempeh — I like to put mine in the food processor for a few seconds to get the crumbles really small but it’s not necessary. Do not process too long or it will be mush. Remove and add the onions. Or, chop onion finely and crumble tempeh by hand.
In a medium pan, add the onions to the olive oil till yellow and then add the shallot and tempeh. Coat the tempeh with the soy sauce and sauté for approximately 8 min.
Pour in the wine and let sauté for another 5 min. Add the mushrooms, tomato sauce, basil and salt. Simmer for 15 min.
I have served it all over all types of noodles. For this recipe I used angel hair spelt noodles.
Top each portion with manchego cheese, avocado, toasted pine nuts and/or olives.