Inspired by the beauty and simplicity of Asian food.
I pkg tempeh, cut into 1/2 strips and steamed for 15 min, marinated and baked
2 cups sushi rice, cooked
1 carrot julienne
1 daikon julienne
Toasted sesame seeds
Wasabi paste or hot sauce
Nori seaweed sheets
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp water
2 tsp wasabi paste
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- Steam 2 cups of sushi rice.
- Cut tempeh into 1/2 inch strips and steam for 15 minutes.
- Transfer tempeh to baking dish and arrange flat.
- Combine marinade ingredients and pour over tempeh.
- Refrigerate overnight or for as long as possible.
- Bake tempeh at 350 for 20 minutes turning once.
- Lay nori wrap on sushi mat shiny side down and spread a thin even layer of rice on nori leaving 1 inch at far end.
- Place tempeh strips about 1/3 of the way down, two layers are great too.
- Layer daikon and carrot or any other filler of choice and a line of wasabi or hot sauce and toasted sesame seeds.
- Roll the nori around the filling squeezing tight to form the maki roll letting out the sushi mat a bit at a time on the top side till you have a perfect roll.
- Cut into 1/2 inch pieces and enjoy.
Practice makes perfect!